NanKhatais for a SMILING cause


Have you ever wondered what the purpose of your presence is, on this beautiful (degrading) planet? I have, plenty a times and never found an apt answer to it. Never the less, I kept looking for the answer from all corners and all kinds of experience I have had in life.

It isn't easy to know what makes one happy until the experience sinks in.

I remember being happy

  • when I helped the class teacher maintain the attendance register,
  • when I helped(rather wrote) a class mate with Hindi homework and winning a rakhi brother,
  • when I shared my clothes with the needy,
  • when I helped unknown faces through philanthropy at work,
  • when I shared some time with disabled orphan children at an NGO near home at Chennai.

I realized over time, sharing is what made me happy. The very purpose of our existence here on this mother Earth is to share and care.  The only problem, I was/am too emotional about it.  I remember Mom telling me, I used to burst out the moment I saw the homeless on the street as a kid
not because I was petrified about them, but because I felt bad seeing them that way.

Over time I was able to do my bit for at least a handful of people and I am very very proud and happy about it. When I quit work, the only regret I had was I would not be able to help the needy financially going forward. Time could always be shared I realized. It wasn't easy with a kid at home. But, when an opportunity came by after so many years I did not stop myself. I was apprehensive how I would conduct myself. But I crossed all those borders yesterday and yet again I am happy I shared time there.

The purpose of the group was to bring on some smile and fun in the lives of few children at Desire Society. The fact that the NGO was closer to my place was even more inviting for me to be a part of SAS.I hope to be a part of the group in future too.

 I wanted to do something more than just spending time with the kids and of course I wanted to bake the kids something to cherish. Cookies were the obvious choice but which one?
I decided to stick to Nankhatais but I made two versions of them. The traditional one and the cocoa infused Nankhatais. The children instantly recognised that they were impressions on the cookies :) and I was more than glad. This time around I have used the traditional recipe itself rather than healthy version.

Since the aim was to share a smile, I have tried to incorporate the same.

Ingredients
Maida/ All purpose flour                                200 gms
Rava/Sooji/Semolina                                      100 gms
Castor Sugar                                                   150 gms
Butter                                                              125 gms
Baking Soda                                                   1/4 tsp
Curd                                                                2 Tbsp
Chopped/Crushed Pistaschos                          75 gms to 100 gms
Cardamom Powdered                                      1 Tbsp 10 -20 gms
Cocoa Powder                                                 30 gms

My way of making
1. Beat together butter, sugar and curd in a dry bowl.
2. In a separate bowl whisk in apf, semolina, baking soda. For the chocolate version add the cocoa powder as well.
3. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and combine them well.
4. You can either include the pistachios in the dough mix or top the cookies with individual pistachios and garnish with powdered cardamom.
4. Pre heat oven to 160C.
5. Pinch out balls from the dough and lightly flattened them and place them atleast 5 cms apart and bake them at 160C for 15-20 minutes.
6. Relish them hot as an evening snack.

Notes
1. Different flavours can be added.
2. Choco chips could be added too in the chocolate version.

Comments

Popular Posts