Almond-Finger millet Biscottis



The big advantages of baking cookies in batches is that you know you need to change your recipe when the first batch fails. Now why do I start my post this way you may think . Well well I need to share my failures too isn't it once a while? And so here goes the picture of my failure attempt at baking some gluten free vegan cookies. This just happens to be one of the failures that I have dared to post.

To be very frank before starting off this bake I had my doubts in place on how this would turn out with the ingredients I was using. But I did think the coconut oil and almond flour would do its work but I was wrong.I added some finger millet flour and again a failure. After all baking is science and precise measurements isn't it. If we don't get that right its obviously a failure. Not someone to give up easily I had other plans on what to bake with the remaining batch of cookie dough that were not baked yet and was resting on the counter top. Oh wait before you think this batch that was baked went into trash let me tell you I did manage to salvage it and turn them into a dessert. 

It so happens that I have this craving to munch on something every evening with my cup of caffeine and that is the whole reason why I wanted to bake some guilt free cookies. Now that I have hit the gym with all intentions to stay healthy I had to try and maintain the calories. The next best thing to cookies was Biscottis in this scenario. They are easy to make and bake. It had been a long while since I baked some and so stayed fixed on baking them. Check out the ingredients I finally had to use to save this dough.

Ingredients 
1) Almond Flour                                                       1 cup
2) Finger millet flour                                                1/2 cup
3) Whole Wheat flour                                               1/4 cup
4) Coconut (shredded)                                              3/4 cup
5) Egg                                                                       1
6) Coconut oil                                                           3/4 cup
7) Ginger powder                                                     1 1/2 tsp(increase or reduce as per taste)
8) Cinnamon powder                                                1 tsp
9) Baking powder                                                     1 tbsp

My way of making
1) Preheat oven to 190C. Line a cookies sheet or baking tray with parchment paper or wax paper or with coconut oil and flour.
2) Sieve together 1-3  ingredients along with ginger powder, cinnamon powder and baking powder. To this add shredded coconut and mix well.
3) In a separate bowl whisk together egg, coconut oil. 
4) Add the dry ingredients into the egg - coconut oil mixture. 
5) Shape the dough as seen here .
6) Bake the shaped dough at 190 C for 15 -20 minutes just until firm and slightly dark brown.
7) Remove from the oven and let cool until easy to handle for around 10 minutes.
8) Cut the dough into 1/2 inch thick slices and place them back into the oven and bake at 190C for 10 minutes. The slices should feel firm  ( similar to the rusk we get in our Indian supermarkets)and look darker than the previous step.
9) Once done let cool and serve along with cup of coffee or tea. 
10) Relish them until you just can't stop with one ;)

Notes
1) You could add 1/4 cup sugar and reduce the coconut to 1/2 cup.
2) You could use brown sugar or white sugar.
3) If using sugar add along with egg and coconut oil and whisk well.
4) Top it with chocolate syrup for some soul satisfying taste.

Keep watching this space as I put up the next post on what I did with the baked batch ;)

Comments

Popular Posts