Thursday, 7 March 2013
With the ever growing demand for ladies to be on feet 24*7*365, snacking is definitely needed. What if that could be made healthy and quick fast snack. Proteins definitely play a big part in keeping the day going. What better than sprouts to fulfil the need of proteins. Typically sprouts could be made from anything like chickpeas to green gram to horse gram. Green gram and chickpeas usually makes up for sprouts but not many are in favour of horse gram. My stint with horse gram started way back in school when I was told to have them just steamed or as a sprout for health reasons. Then I just hated it. Now I tend to have them whenever I get a chance given the reason that AR is in favour of it too.
Horse gram definitely has its heath advantages like weight loss and sugar control.
100 gms sprouted horse gram
2 medium sized onions (chopped)
1 to 11/2 medium sized tomatoes (chopped)
1 tsp Olive Oil
1/3 tsp Vinegar
Salt - as per taste
Freshly ground Pepper - as per taste
My way of making
1. Soak horse gram overnight and drain water next day and leave it aside to sprout.
2. Steam the sprouted horse gram for few minutes before making the salad.
3. Mix Olive oil and vinegar to make the salad dressing and keep aside.
4. Mix together sprouts, chopped tomatoes and onions together with salt and pepper.
5. Add to this the salad dressing and toss them for seconds.
Makes a good filling snack on a very busy day!
1. You will need to clean and wash the horse gram well since stone and mud particles are easily a spoil sport in this dish.
2. The general rule to make salad dressing is 3:1 wrt to Olive Oil to Vinegar.