Orotti/Ottada



Sunday Morning breakfasts are usually heavier or the typical Malayalee breakfast at my home as thats the only day all of us get some leisure to enjoy our course of meals. Typically I plan around my breakfast the previous night like any other mom so that I am left with some time for breakfast after the nagging time asking my little brat to have her milk.!!!
So this weekend I decided to try something Malabarish for breakfast. Usually Malabar dishes are rich in themselves but then you do have simple foods like pathiri and orotti/ottada etc. After much search on the Internet giant, I decided to go ahead with orotti. I have my doubts still on whether pathiri and orotti are cousins!!!  They are not very different to themselves, the former is thinner while the latter is thicker and tastier with the presence of coconut. It took me some time to get the mix and the technique to make it right but trust me the aroma that fills your kitchen would keep you asking for more.
Ok enough of introduction, let's see have a look at the recipe


Ingredients
Rice flour - 1 cup
Water - just enough to make a soft dough
Coconut - 1/4 cup
Shallots - 4 nos
Jeera/Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Salt - adjust to your taste
Oil - to grease your hands , coconut oil is best used , other oils would not substitute


My Way of Making
1. Crush together coconut, shallots and cumin seeds to a semi solid state.
2. Boil water, add salt and the prepared coconut mix.
3. Lower the flame and add the rice flour and mix well with a spatula. Switch off flame.
4. Let cool and knead the dough when it is still warm.
5. Make medium sized balls from the dough.
6. Grease your hands and the rolling pin with oil.
7. flatten the balls evenly to 1/2" thickness.
8. Either grease the griddle with oil or you can cook the Orotti as it is when the griddle is hot enough.
9. When small brown spots appear on the bottom side, flip them over to the other side.
10. Remove from skillet and serve with yummy chicken, mutton or peas or channa curry.


Note
1. If the dough gets dry sprinkle some water and if its get too sticky add some rice flour.   Use only the required amount of water else it would take double the time to get through the dish.
2. This definitely should be served hot.
3. Ideally its good with non veg curries but since we had it for breakfast we went along with peas curry.


Comments

Popular Posts